Big News Around You -- Fenton Man Pleads Guilty in Mortgage Fraud, Two Drown in Area Lakes and July 4 Festivities
Here is a look at five news stories that occurred around Brighton this week.
Here are five of the top stories this week in the areas surrounding Fenton.
1. The Detroit News reported on a Fenton man who pleaded guilty in federal court regarding a large mortgage fraud ring. Ronnie Duke, 45, and his co-defendents generated as much as $100 million in losses from fake loans, FBI agents said.
2. A semi overturned, spilling an unknown liquid that caused roads to close on southbound US-23 to westbound M-14.
3. Fenton Patch reported on two drownings that occurred this week, at Marl Lake and Lake Fenton. An 11-year-old Fenton boy and a 25-year-old Flat Rock man lost their lives after each disappeared in the water.
4. Americans celebrated Independence Day on Wednesday, with area parades and festivals. Fenton Patch reported on the local Freedom Festival, while readers offered their opinions on the state's new fireworks law.
5. The Oakland Press reported an off-duty paramedic saved the life of a 4-year-old boy at Seven Lakes State Park in the Holly area on Wednesday. The child, from Flint, received CPR from the paramedic around 4:10 p.m. and was in good condition after that at a Flint hospital.