Flu season is coming early in parts of the United States: This time last year, flu cases were lower in Michigan than they are now, according to data on Google's Flu Trends.
Overall in Michigan, activity is considered high now, while it was low at this time in 2011, according to Flu Trends.
If you're considering getting a flu shot, here are some Brighton area locations that offer the vaccine:
- Costco, 6700 Whitmore Lake Rd.
- VG's, 9870 Grand River
- Kroger, 9968 E Grand River
- CVS, 5757 Whitmore Lake Road
- Walgreens, 5505 S Old Us 23
- Rite Aid, 8701 West Grand River
- CVS, 106 West Grand River
According to this week's CDC Flu activity report, influenza levels are on the increase across the country.
Five states – Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee – are reporting flu rates not normally seen until January, according to the Centers for Disease Control. The flu season normally peaks in January and February.
Holiday travel and more time spent indoors due to soggy weather will contribute to the spread of the flu virus, so now is the time to get vaccinated.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers the following information:
- Who should get vaccinated
- When to get vaccinated
- Selecting a flu vaccine
- Symptoms, complications and severity
- Treatment if you get the flu
- How flu spreads
Brighton Patch editor Nicole Krawcke contributed to this report.
See More on Patch
- Double Lung Transplant Recipient Makes Second 70-Story Climb Since Surgery
- Add Your Spring Photos to Our Gallery!
- Brighton Students Plan, Participate in Largest Blood Drive in Livingston County
- Brighton Firefighters 'Fight for Air' During Annual Stair Climb in Detroit
- Brighton Polar Plungers Take a Dip to Support Special Olympics (with Video)