It is tough in our world today to find time to fit in everything that needs to be done. We have jobs, homes, children and many people depending on us. We don’t stop to consider that when we take time for ourselves both mentally and physically we are better bosses or employees. We have more energy to take care of our homes and we are much better parents with more energy, patience, and just plain in a better mood. Studies have shown that exercise helps with depression, anxiety, energy and all over physical and mental health.
Here are some ideas for how you can carve out that time for exercise.
1. Wake up 30 minutes early before anyone else gets up and go through a stretch or yoga routine.
2. Bring your exercise clothes in the car with you at all times. Be ready when the opportunity rises. (If you have to go home after work to get clothes for workout you probably won’t go back to the gym.)
3. Walk at lunch (bring small hand weights to walk with). Instead of going out to lunch save time, money, and calories by packing a lunch and go for a walk. Brighton has many spots for walking.
4. Make an exercise calendar for the month and follow that schedule.
5. Stop at the gym on the way home. Don’t go home first stop at the gym and get your workout in before you go home. After your workout is done then you can go home and relax.
6. Plan workouts with a friend. It is much easier and more successful if you have a workout partner. You can motivate each other, keep each other accountable and its much more fun.
7. Join an exercise group or boot camp. Working with a personal trainer in a group is very motivating. A personal trainer is going to safely push you to put every thing you can into your workouts. This will help you to see results in a shorter amount of time. In a group you feel a common bond because you are all working toward the same goal of better health and fitness. (And let’s face it some of us want to look good in a bathing suit!)
8. Talk with other family members. Let them know your plan and ask them for their support. This makes them feel a part of something that helps you and that in turn makes them feel good.
9 Get an exercise group together in your workplace or neighborhood. Schedule walks or workouts together. (Bring a personal trainer in or join a boot camp that is held before or after work.)
10. Walk the dog. Instead of watching television after dinner gather the family and the dog and go for a walk. The family gets to spend quality time together and the dog gets exercise. We’re lucky Livingston County provides us with great parks and places to walk and exercise.
Find your reason to be fit and healthy. It could be the very same people that are depending on you for everything else. Planning is the key. Prioritize what really is important in your life and you will find the time.