This is part 2 of a 2 part series on things to do in the Brighton, MI area that are free (or close to it). Here are some ideas (in no particular order):
1. Swim at the local high school. I have been with my family to the Hartland and Howell High School pools (“aquatic centers”). Both pools have slides, diving boards, lap swimming, a hot tub and an area to play basketball in the water. The Hartland Pool also boasts a “lazy river”. I have found both pools to be very comfortable temperature wise. Admission is $5 or less per person. Check out this article written last year on Brighton Patch regarding the Brighton High School Aquatic Center: http://brighton.patch.com/articles/aquatics-center-offers-midwinter-escapes
2. Volunteer. There are numerous opportunities to volunteer in the community depending on what you like to do. Do you enjoy running? How about volunteering at an upcoming race, lending support and cheering racers on instead of participating. Gleaners Food Bank, the Humane Society of Livingston County and many more worthwhile causes need our help. The Brighton Patch is an excellent resource center for volunteer opportunities: http://brighton.patch.com/search/announcements?cat=1998198838
3. Join a club or organization. Do you love history? How about joining the Brighton Area Historical Society (BAHS)? Do you love to garden? There is a Brighton Garden Club. This is a great way to make new friends that share your interests.
4. Explore Kensington Metropark. Now is a great time of year to walk the Nature Center trails. I was there recently and saw four turkeys, three deer, numerous colorful birds (see photo) and one very well fed squirrel. It is fun to place bird seed in your hand and wait for the birds to eat right from your palm. There are numerous trails ranging from one-half mile to 2+ miles. I also encourage you to go inside the Nature Center to see the displays and exhibits. Admission to the park is $5 daily or $25 annual.
5. Visit the MJR Towne Square 20 Movie Theatre in Brighton. There are select Free children’s movies beginning the weekend of February 25-26, 2012 and ending the weekend of March 24-25, 2012. Please visit their website for more information: http://www.mjrtheatres.com/promotions.asp
Please feel free to share your comments what you like to do in this area that are free (or close to it).
This particular blog will be updated next month with ideas for things to do in the spring.