The 2013 North American International Auto opens to the public Saturday, Jan. 19, at the Cobo Center in Detroit and we've got the scoop on what you need to know before you go!
[Do you know someone from Brighton who will be participating behind the scenes? Leave a comment!]
- 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, to Saturday, Jan. 26; (no admittance after 9 p.m.).
- 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 27 (no admittance after 6 p.m.).
- Tickets cost $12 for adults or $6 for seniors and children ages 7 to 12; kids 6 and younger get in free when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- A discounted rate of $8 per ticket is available for groups of 30 or more.
- Tickets are available for purchase online. E-tickets will be available for pick-up upon presentation of a receipt and photo identification at the e-ticket counter in the Cobo Concourse at the Oakland Hall entrance.
- Tickets also may be purchased with cash or credit at ticket booths located in the Cobo Center concourse.
- Tickets for children and seniors only may be purchased at the door.
- Visit naias.com or call 248-283-5173 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for more information.
Getting there, parking
- Cobo Center is located at One Washington Blvd. Detroit, MI 48226.
- If you are traveling from Berkley or Huntington Woods, take Interstate 75 southbound to Interstate 375, to westbound Jefferson Avenue. Follow Jefferson to Cobo Center.
- Click here to get directions using Google Maps.
- Parking is available at the following lots.
- NAIAS visitors also can park elsewhere in the city and pay 75 cents to ride the Detroit People Mover to Cobo Center. Click here to view the Detroit People Mover schedule.
What to see
More than 500 vehicles from Detroit automakers and other global manufacturers will be on display inside the renovated Cobo Center and 40 will make their global debut during the 24th annual event. (See the attached PDF for a map of exhibitors.)
- Charity Preview: The black-tie event will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, Jan. 18, the night before the show opens to the public, giving participants a sneak peak. Tickets cost $300 per person, $290 of which is tax deductible. The Charity Preview has raised more than $87 million for southeastern Michigan children's charities since 1976, according to the NAIAS website. Purchase tickets online or call 888-838-7500 for more information.
- American Red Cross blood drive: The drive will be held from 2 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, through Monday, Jan. 21, and again Saturday, Jan. 26, in room W2-62 at Cobo Center. Walk-ins are welcome or schedule an appointment at www.givelife.org using sponsor code "naias." Call 313-833-4440 for more information.
- NAIAS parade: The Parade Company, which organizes of America's Thanksgiving Parade in Detroit, will put on a parade featuring cars, local stars and special surprises daily at 3:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. on the main show floor. The parade only will take place at 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 27.
- Aisin Drive Green Experience: Visitors can ride in electric and hybrid vehicles at the indoor track in Michigan Hall.
- NAIAS Education Day: The educational experience for school groups will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 23. Participants will take part in tours hosted by experts, hands-on activities, career-based presentations and more. Visit naias.com or contact Lacey Lambert at firstname.lastname@example.org or 248-458-1127 for more information or to register your school group.
- WXYZ TV Channel 7 Family Day: There will be musical performances, giveaways and opportunities to meet Channel 7 on-air talent Friday, Jan. 25.
Visitors with disabilities
- Individuals with disabilities may enter at 8 a.m. using the the Oakland Entrance, if they prefer to get in early.
- Motorized scooters are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Call 313-877-8290 to make a reservation. Scooter rental costs $25 and is limited to a 4-hour period during show hours.
- Call 248-643-2450 if special parking assistance is required.