Brighton Area Schools are for the upcomming May 8 election.
Here's an up close look at what this bond would mean to the school district and to taxpayers.
How long will the bond last?
Brighton Area Schools submitted an application for a 30-year-bond, to be distributed in two tiers. The second tier will be issued three years after the first, so the bond will really last 33 years.
What will the bond do?
The bond will improve a number of different things within the district:
Technology upgrades include
- Wireless networks
- New computers
- Interactive classroom technology
- Multi-media presentation technologies
- Security technology
Athletic facilities upgrades include
- Rebuild stadium with artificial turf, track, bleachers, team rooms and concessions
- Two new high school multi-sport/band practice fields
- New track and field at
- Repurpose existing pool to new fitness center
- Build new community pool
Brighton Center for the Performing Arts (BCPA) upgrades include
- Replace obsolete sound and lighting systems
- Refurbish stage flooring
- Refurbish balcony seating
- Replace stage curtains
Safety upgrades include
- Security vestibules at all schools
- Separate bus/parent traffic
- Upgrade elementary playgrounds
- Replace aging fire alarm/exit systems
- Security cameras
Critical infrastructure and program upgrades include
- Remodel aging restrooms
- Replace asphalt paving, improving safety
- Replace obsolete equipment: chalkboards, classroom cabinets, lockers and student desks
- New gym addition at Hawkins Elementary
- Replace aging plumbing, heating, ventilating equipment, roofing, select worn flooring and select exterior windows and doors
How much will it cost?
The bond issue would increase Brighton Area Schools' current millage by 1.49 mills, or $1.49 on each $1,000 of taxable value.Market Value Taxable Value Annual Cost Monthly Cost Daily Cost $100,000 $50,000 $74.50 $6.21 $0.20 $200,000 $100,000 $149.00 $12.42 $0.41 $300,000 $150,000 $223.50 $18.63 $0.61
*These figures are estimates provided by Brighton Area Schools. For your specific tax impact, use Brighton Area Schools' online tax calculator.
For more information on the bond issue, visit www.brightonk12.mi.us.