The deadline to register to vote in the Nov. 6 General Election is just around the corner.
Local residents have until Oct. 9 to register at Brighton City Hall, Brighton Township Hall, any Secretary of State office or by mail. In order to vote, you must:
- be 18 years or older on or before election day
- be a citizen of the U.S.
- have lived in Michigan for at least 30 days
- be registered on or before the close of registration
Those who aren't able to go to the polls on election day may cast an absentee ballot. Brighton Township absentee voter applications are available online, as are applications for City of Brighton absentee voters.
If you want the ballot mailed, your application must be received by 2 p.m. the Saturday before the election. These dates are also important to absentee voters:
- Nov. 3, 2 p.m.: Deadline to submit absentee ballot by mail
- Nov. 5, 4 p.m.: Deadline to submit absentee ballot in person at clerk's office
- Nov. 6, 4 p.m.: Emergency absentee ballot deadline
For more information on the November Elections, visit the Michigan Voter Information Center online.